American Safety Health Institute
Course time: 16 – 20 Hours.
Wilderness environments create special situations not usually encountered in an urban or suburban environment. With ASHI’s Wilderness First Aid, Instructors certified to teach CPR/AED, basic first aid, and have wilderness experience can take advantage of ASHI’s flexible instructional design.
This comprehensive 16-20 hour course meets the Boy Scouts of America Wilderness First Aid curriculum and guidelines.
Participants will learn:
- Preparation and Assessment of Wilderness Emergencies
- Preventing and Caring for Injuries
- Environmental Hazards
- Biological Hazards
- Medical Emergencies
Who will benefit:
- Individuals who require or desire wilderness first aid knowledge and skills but are not professional responders
- Adventure guides, outdoor enthusiasts,
- camp counselors and administrators, camp participants,
- Park and forest rangers
- and other occupations that work in a wilderness environment.
Written Exam: Recommended for designated responders (duty or employer expectation to respond; 80% or better).
Performance Evaluation: Required — Students must perform all core skills competently and without assistance for at least three randomly selected Performance Evaluations.
Certification Period: up to 3 years (recommended every 2 years)